Sunday, December 4, 2011

Cherry or Apple? Now you don't have to choose!

 If you are here from Pineapple Lily, welcome! She graciously allowed me to guest post over there!

Time for another pie!!


Go here and here if you missed the first two pies! 

I'm a fruit pie kinda gal. Apple pie? All over it. My husband is a huge fan of cherry pie. (Like so much of a fan, my mother in law made him an entire cherry pie to bring home from Thanksgiving.) When I came across the recipe, I knew I had to make it. It is a fun and easy twist on two traditional pies. Technically it is a tart, but hey-who invited the pie police? 

This pie comes together in about 20 minutes, with the most time consuming step consisting of peeling and slicing two apples. Along with a short prep time, this pie will go quick (read: was all gone within 12 hours of baking it). 


Cherry Apple Crumb Tart

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Bake: 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes 

Cool: 15 minutes

Yield: 8 servings


Ingredients
  • 1 refrigerated pie crust
  • 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 2 large Granny Smith apples
  • 3/4 cup canned cherry pie filling (about 1/2 of a 21 oz. can)

Directions


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Let pie crust stand at room temperature 15 minutes.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Add butter and blend thoroughly using  two forks. Set aside.



Roll out pie crust into a 13-inch circle and place on a baking stone or a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.

Peel, core and cut apples into thin slices. Layer apples evenly over crust leaving a 1-inch border of crust.
Spread 3/4 cup cherry pie filling over the apples. Sprinkle flour mixture over apples and pie filling. Fold the outer edge of the pie crust up over the fruit to form a rim.



Bake 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Remove from oven and cool slightly. Serve warm.



Pin It

6 comments:

Catrina Crafts A Lot said...

Mmmmm! That looks delicious! I just pinned it into "Nummy Food" and I'm hoping I can get a chance to make it for Christmas day! Thanks for the recipe! Catrina @ bcuzmommysaidso.com

sue @ cakeballs, cookies and more said...

oh that looks so good! I would love that.

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Pie is so awesome. :) This is a great one. Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday!

Unknown said...

I totally love fruit pie too!! This looks delicious! Thanks for linking it at Shine On Fridays!

Unknown said...

PS - I'm now follower #100!

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

This looks so delicious. Thank you so much for linking it to Fabulous Friday.

Warmly, Michelle

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I appreciate your comments and try my hardest to respond to them all! With the newest addition of embedded comments, I usually reply to your comments directly on my blog. So make sure you come back for my response or subscribe to comment replies!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...