Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Mexican Casserole

Sunday's are cheat days in our house. Cheat day=eat whatever you want...as much as you want...and let loose. These days cheat day just doesn't do a whole lot for me. Not that I'm left longing for something else horrible for me that Sunday just didn't provide, just that I find myself liking to eat healthy. I always pay for the crap I eat on Sunday come Monday morning. It just doesn't seem worth it.

This Sunday I made mexican. Wise loves mexican food. He considers a block of Velveeta and a can of Rotel mexican food, so he's not hard to please. I made sort of a casserole/burrito filling/dip. Its great in tortillas or eaten with tortilla chips. Sadly, I didn't take a picture, but here is the recipe.

Easy Mexican Casserole

1 lb ground beef (I buy organic, grass fed, locally raised beef)
2 14.5oz cans of refried beans
1 small can of diced green chilies
1 small can sliced olives
1 bottle taco sauce (You can also use salsa if that's all  you have on hand)
1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used monterrey jack and cheddar)

In a medium skillet, brown ground beef. In a bowl, mix refried beans and chilies together. Spray your casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray and layer cooked beef on the bottom in an even layer. Then spread your bean/chilie mixture over the beans in a nice, even layer. Sprinkle olives (or don't, I know many people don't like them) over beans. Pour entire bottle of taco sauce over top and sprinkle with cheese. Bake a 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. You are really just heating everything through. Cheese will be bubbly! I let mine sit out for a few minutes. I find that is best when cooking anything in a casserole dish. Serve with tortilla chips, taco toppings, queso (if you are my husband), or tortillas for burritos!


In addition to the mexican casserole, I managed to kill 4 mini cinnamon rolls for breakfast, a bowl of Cherrios for lunch, and an 8 pack of Oreos with milk before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I appreciate your comments and try my hardest to respond to them all! With the newest addition of embedded comments, I usually reply to your comments directly on my blog. So make sure you come back for my response or subscribe to comment replies!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...